Tuesday, 27 November 2012

My Winter Skin Essentials

I had some major beauty SOS moments over the last week or so which made me start thinking about which products I rely on most during the winter months.  We generally all have to step things up in winter with regards to our beauty routine, especially when the weather starts to play havoc with our hair and skin.

So here is a quick run-down of my favourite winter go-to products...


Origins Clean Energy - This cleansing oil is a god-send when your skin gets particularly dry.  It's lightweight, easy to use and doesn't leave your skin feeling greasy.  It's provides that extra bit of hydration my skin needs when the temperatures drop and calms any dry patches.  This is my second bottle but the first one lasted for 9 months.  I start using it before bed in early November and it really does help keep my skin soft and smooth.

The Body Shop Honey & Oat 3-in 1 Scrub - I generally pull this lovely product out when I have a stubborn dry patch on my face, which happened this week in fact.  Used in conjunction with the oil cleanser, it really helps to soothe any irritated skin and calms any redness. The dry patch was considerably smoother after just one 15 minute application of this mask! I am definitely a fan!

Origins High Potency Night-A-Mins - I have raved about this product many a time and it's still one of my top 3 night moisturisers.  It's packed with loads of goodness and it's a fantastic winter night moisturiser.  You wake up with baby soft skin that looks radiant and rested.  Origins skincare really is hard to beat!


Given that I suffer from Psoriasis, I have to be extra careful with my skincare routine at this time of year.  There isn't an option to skip body cream at night or get lazy with my routine.  I have to be meticulous with caring for my skin if I want it to stay looking healthy and smooth.

The Sanctuary Micro-Dermabrasion Body Renewal - This product really REALLY works! I apply it 2-3 times a week with my exfoliating gloves in the shower.  I work it into my skin with circular motions and use just a touch of shower gel to make it go a bit further.  My skin is left feeling incredibly smooth and soft...you have to try it! At less than £10, it's really worth giving it a go!

Aveeno Moisturising Creamy Oil - Ok, this stuff is my favourite body cream of anything I've ever tried before.  You want proof? This is my SIXTH bottle of the stuff! I apply it every single night and a little does go a long way.  Although it's oil-based, it's extremely lightweight and sinks into the skin very quickly.  It has really transformed my skin and I can't bear to be without it now (I have 3 back ups in the cupboard!).


I can be fussy when it comes to lip products because a lot of the balms on the market just don't cut the mustard with me.  I remember the mixed emotions when I tried By Terry Baume De Rose for the first time...it was incredible BUT so expensive! I had been searching for a cheaper alternative and although I do still love the Korres Lip Balms, I like to have a heavy duty lip hydrater on stand by for those times when your smackers really do need emergency help.

I walk the dog come rain or shine and sometimes this means trudging around in freezing cold winds and rain. This is not good news for my lips and sometimes they get very dry.  My solution? Rodial Glam Balm Lip.  It's substantially cheaper than the By Terry balm, it's super hydrating and it lasts for ages.  I have been applying it as and when needed and I have to say that my lips are now looking like their former healthy self.  I have had this balm for a year now and you can see how much is left!


L'Occitane Sweet Almond Liquid Soap - My hands have a tendency to become dry husks in winter so I have to make sure I always use a nourishing hand wash that won't strip them of the natural oils.  This liquid hand soap from L'Occitane is perfect because it's detergent free, really gentle but still does the job.  Granted it is expensive for soap but the large dispensers last for a long time.  I've had this one since I moved into the new house in March!

The Sanctuary Ultra-Refining Hand Polish - We exfoliate our faces and bodies, so why not our hands? I like to keep this product at the bathroom sink so I can scrub away any dry skin while I wash my hands.  they do say you can tell how old a woman is by her hands so we all better keep them looking smooth and youthful!!!

OPI Avoplex High Intensity Hand and Nail Cream and OPI Avoplex Cuticle Oil To Go - This is by far my favourite hand cream for an immediate soothing and hydrating effect.  It smells lovely and keeps your hands silky soft.  The cuticle oil smells like apples and is amazing at keeping your nails in great condition.  If you have problems with peeling cuticles and dry skin around your nails then this would be perfect for you!

What are your winter skin essentials?

10 comments:

  1. Some great products. I have always wanted to try the Origins cleansing oil it sounds great. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does hydrate the skin beautifully :)

      Delete
  2. As useful as usual. Thanks Laura for discovering me new and not so new products that I might have missed if i hadn´t read your posts. And by the way, I´ve been following you two years now without saying anything but I thought it was about time you knew even more how useful, clean and non pretentious your blog is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment - it's always great to know I am helping people out :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Laura, great post as usual. My skin is sooooo dry at the minute, tried the body shop mask, fantastic, thanks for recommending it..Any ideas for face moisturisers? My skin is going nuts at the minute xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you liked the Body Shop Mask.
      The Aveeno ones are great - they have colloidal oatmeal in them which helps the skin to retain moisture x

      Delete
  4. Thank you, will give it a shot, always used to use SKII which is amazing but since they went exclusive to Harrods there are no bargains to be had. £130 for a moisturiser? I think not :) Jo Stead-Burgess x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! This product sounds amazing, currently I'm using their cleanser (the milk-type one) and Beauty Elixir, and am thinking of trying more items from the brand as the ones I'm using are really good.
    obagi nu derm starter kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had been searching on this topic for a long while but I was not able to find great resources like Thanks for such an interesting article here.
    Breast Enhancement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here. I hope to see more such nice articles in the nearest future too…
    Skin Laxity

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you get a spare mo, I read every single one and I love hearing from you guys! I will always try and answer any questions you leave :)